Letter of Introduction

Letter of Introduction

From: Mohammad Hossain

To: Professor Sara Jacobson

Writing For Engineering

February 13, 2023

I don’t have the greatest memory, sometimes I even forget what I was thinking about a couple of moments ago. However, one thing I do know is that I have changed a lot over the years. When I was younger, I played more sports and was much more active and energetic. I loved to play football outside with my friends and talk to a lot of different people. As time went on, I became more reserved and quieter but I still think that I have changed for the better. My younger self might have been more energetic, but I was also very obnoxious and loud. I was part of the track team in middle school and later joined the chess team in high school. During the summer I managed to land a job with Figure 8 and helped create an ai system that can predict future hurricanes with information of past hurricane behaviors. That way they would know which area needs the most assistance and supplies if another hurricane were to appear. My major is currently undeclared, but I want to study in the field of computer science. I think that it might be an interesting field to study in because of how many jobs it can lead to in different branches. I am not yet sure what I want to be, but I am hoping that my time in City College will make me realize what I want to do with my life. However, there were many challenges I had to face when I went after this path. Although I am very interested in computers, I am very technologically illiterate. Unlike most people studying computer science I don’t have much practice with computers. I am a slow typer and don’t have the knowledge of how to do certain things on the computer. Just two days ago I learned about 7z and zip folders while everyone I knew already knew how to extract them. However, I still like learning about computers and despite the fact that I am behind everyone else I still want to pursue a career in computer science because I enjoy working with computers. I also find the field of engineering to be very interesting. Understanding how machinery works puts a lot of power in your hands. I say that because your knowledge allows you to fix things in your house without needing to rely on anyone. Along with this you can combine your knowledge of different machinery to make tools that cater to your needs. I say this as I’m currently working on a diy ventilation system for my 3d printer that emits a lot of toxic gas. Instead of needing to buy hundreds of dollars’ worth of equipment I can pick up scrap parts and cheap materials to achieve a similar material. But I understand that there is still a lot to learn, and I am very excited to understand machines more. As for the future of engineering, I believe that things will become more innovative, but the complexity will still stay about the same. To the uninitiated, studying technology sounds difficult and something for only the top minds of society to worry about but I believe that that is far from the truth. I think that technology can be understood by anyone as long as they are willing to take their time and understand the basics. Just a month ago I had no idea how to even run a printer and now I can tell how a 3d printer works. I believe that as time goes on the world of engineering will become more accessible as more people have studied and understood the complexity of machines and share their understanding in simpler terms. This allows for a wealth of knowledge to be built and accessed for future generations. I believe that the world of engineering is getting bigger every day.