Self-Assessment

Mohammad Hossain

Writing For Engineering

ENGL-21007-Section A

Sara Jacobson

May 22,2023

Self-Assessment

I believe that I have indeed met the course learning objective to a significant degree but not completely. Along with this I think my writing has improved but is still lacking in some departments. The first thing I want to talk about is working with different resources and learning other people’s linguistic differences. I have had a hard time adjusting to working with limited resources like the lab report. I am accustomed to usually making any claim I want with the intent of finding information that already supports that claim. But the lab reports are very limited. Not to mention that it was my first time using the database, so it was difficult for me to find the resources I needed. This forced me to make the most of the 2 reports I chose and analyze each report more carefully. One of my weaknesses I notice was my formatting. I have had a hard time making my formatting unique yet smooth, I learned a little by looking at other people’s example but still lack clarity because I am not always shure what I will write so I can’t plan ahead on how to format things. I have learned to read more carefully in my lab report and for my technical description. A mouse is very complex, and I had to do a lot of research to fully understand how it worked. I also didn’t have a physical mouse I could look at and had too many different sources for my mouses specific layouts and internal mechanics. My time with the lab report has been a challenge but I think I now know how to better utilize my sources and pick out more detail from each passage. Strengthening my sources with my resources is another weak point. I could do it but I often write for too long to get a simple point across and I need to work on finding ways to shorten my thoughts. My final weakness was working with a group, for the final project it felt like I would have to push a certain direction for the work and if I didn’t, we would fall behind. I have tried many times to push for people to contribute but no one seemed to have the energy to contribute something until the final moment. So, my collaborative skills are also a little lackluster.